What can you expect from our services?
If you are a new client seeking tax preparation services, you can expect courteous and up-front information from the very beginning with Martin Hunter CPA. Our professional staff will assess the level of service that will be necessary to meet your individual needs. We can send you a personalized organizer that will help you manage and submit your source documents.
An in-office consultation normally ranges from 30 to 60 minutes, going over the basics such as household members, personal deductions, nature of work and finances, retirement plans etc. Many individuals have one or more complex issue(s) that occasionally require additional attention, such as amendment of prior year returns, business income and expenses, home offices, unreimbursed employee expenses, rental properties, multiple stock transactions, disabled family members, etc. A retainer for services is standard for new clients, which will be applied to your final invoice.
Your return will then be prepared and reviewed in our office, usually within 2 to 6 weeks depending on complexity and availability of documentation. Upon completion we will send a soft copy of your return for review, your invoice, a signature form for e-filing, and any payment vouchers if applicable. Once we receive your payment and e-file signature page, we will transmit your return to the IRS and resident state(s) if applicable. We will then return your source documents and provide a hard copy of your returns.
How much should I expect to pay for your services?
Your tax preparation invoice can vary widely depending on complexity and the quality of your record keeping. Our firm charges by amount of time spent, rather than form by form, making our rates very reasonable and competitive compared to larger firms that advertise on television and the radio.
What should I bring to the first consultation?
There are two things to keep in mind when deciding what to bring:
1) The more documentation, the better, and
2) The more organized your information is, the less time it will take us to prepare your return which will be reflected in your final preparation invoice.
This is especially true for new clients, but in general, be sure to bring:
- Copies of your prior year tax returns (3 years back if possible)
- Income Forms (W-2, 1099's, Soc Sec docs, Dividends, Interest, Stock sales & cost basis info, etc.)
- Deduction Forms (1098's, Mortgage interest paid, Property taxes paid, Charitable giving summaries, Childcare, Student loan interest paid, Tuition, etc.)
- Notes and summaries of any other reportable income or deductible expenses
- List of any questions you may have for us